Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Chewy Oatmeal Bars


Recently I was looking for a good all-around cookie…somewhat nutritious, makes a lot, fast and easy, not crumbly…And this recipe fit the bill. Plus, they are man-pleasin’! I adapted it from one I found online and I’ve been really happy with the results.

*******************

Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Bars

1 1/2 c. coconut oil OR 3 sticks butter (Billy and I like the taste of the coconut oil better, but butter works fine too)

3 c. brown sugar (if you are really going for healthful sweets, I’m sure rapadura or sucanat would work just as well)

3 c. whole wheat flour

3 eggs

1 T. vanilla

1 T. cinnamon

1 1/2 t. soda

1 t. salt

3 c. old fashioned oatmeal

2 c. raisins

Cream oil or butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla, flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in oats and raisins until well mixed. Mixture will be very stiff. Turn mixture into greased jelly roll pan and pat evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool, cut into bars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These sound tasty. Do you soak the oats before using them? Or have you tried doing that yet?

Cheers,
KristenM
(AKA FoodRenegade)

sherry said...

Mmm. I may have to include this for my husband's 4WD trip! :o) Thank you!

jAne at tickleberry farm