Monday, September 11, 2006

I've Been Tagged!

Well, sort of. I’ve been tagged for this meme by all those people who tag their friends and then add, “and you, if you want to do it.” I guess I’m “you.” I’ll say right up front that I have no intention of following the rules of this meme and giving just one book for each category. There are too many good books, and I’m pretty sure the blog police won’t get me. I'm also not going to link all these books.

One Book that changed your life:
It’s 100% impossible to choose just one in this category. The Bible (of course!), Grace Awakening by Chuck Swindoll, Heaven by Randy Alcorn, The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise and Jessie Wise Bauer, The Case for Christ and The Case for Faith by Lee Strobel, Renovation of the Heart by Dallas Willard, Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, Girl Meets God by Lauren Winner, His Needs Her Needs by William Harley, The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian, Husband-Coached Childbirth by William Bradley, Parent Project by William Sears, and I’m sure many more. (And hey, what’s with all the Williams on my list? I’m married to a William and I have a son named William too…Huh.)

I’ll add that blog reading has shaped and changed me as much as any book. Hearing it from the trenches can be enormously challenging and encouraging.

One book that you’ve read more than once: Pilgrim’s Inn and Gentian Hill by Elizabeth Goudge, Wild Geese Flying by Cornelia Meigs, Windy Foot by Frances Frost, the biography of Florence Nightingale, Meet the Austins by Madeleine L’Engle, all the Happy Little Family books, the Little House on the Prairie books, The Well-Trained Mind (Wise and Bauer, mentioned above), and The Charlotte Mason Companion. And the Bible of course.

One book you’d want on a desert island: Willy Whitefeather’s Survival Handbook for Kids and of course the Bible.

One book that made you laugh: All of James Herriot’s veterinary/animal books. He is a riot. And would you believe it, the Bible! God has a great sense of humor, we just miss it sometimes.

One book that made you cry: I can’t remember actually crying while reading a regular book, but Exodus by Leon Uris comes close. The Bible has definitely made me cry, especially hearing the Gospel for the first time again after a long, dry period without it.

One book you wish had never been written: Building Christian Character by Blair Adams and Joel Stein. Actually anything by those authors.

One book you’re currently reading:
Actually not in the middle of anything at the moment, unusual for me. The last book I read was The Charlotte Mason Companion.

One book you’ve been meaning to read: Blue Like Jazz, Curly Girl, Blog, Choose the Life, and others that escape me right now.

No comments: