Friday, July 18, 2008

Basil for Pesto



This year I really wanted to garden. But for the 3rd of the past 5 years, I had a baby instead. Ah well, babies are more fun and a whole lot sweeter.

Still, I couldn't get past the urge to grow...something. So I picked up some herb plants. Rosemary, aloe, peppermint, sage, and basil.

Since Elizabeth loves to water plants, most of them survived my Black Thumb of Death, all except the aloe, which I can't seem to keep alive no matter what I try. (The neighbor has some on his porch to which he does nothing as far as I can tell--and it thrives.) And the peppermint, which I planted under a faucet that doesn't drip. The basil was a bit yellow for awhile, but soon it greened up and filled out and now it's really beautiful.




So I picked some.




I've never made pesto before. But it sounded so good.




Pine nuts? How about toasty pecans instead?




Garlic. Parmesan. Oil.




Maybe I shouldn't show you this. The green mess doesn't do this deliciousness justice. Oh my. It was so fresh and good. I could have eaten it all from a spoon. I grew up in a home where we often sat down to meals where we'd grown virtually everything, but it's been a long time since I've had food I grew myself.






Instead of eating it with a spoon, I made a pizza. Chicken, tomatoes, and mushrooms. It would have been better with fresh mushrooms and sun-ripened local tomatoes, but it was still amazing. Even Billy liked it, much to my surprise.

Pesto pizza. I highly recommend it.

7 comments:

Dianna said...

Oh, yum! I love pesto, too. And I have some basil ready to be picked. hmm . . .

Anonymous said...

yummy...your pictures made me hungry!!!! I may have to try that with our basil, I've never made pesto before!!!

Anonymous said...

Mmm... Mmm... Mmm...

Anonymous said...

I love pesto!! The pizza looks awesome! It makes me want to make some.

Kristen said...

Ok, now I'm really going to have to try the pesto.

By the way, in other weird parallel things, I also homeschool my kids(I was homeschooled all the way through high school myself), and I'm also a Christian.

Perhaps we were separated at birth? (hee-hee)

Elisabeth Black said...

Your basil looks great. Something's eating all my basil leaves and I am mighty displeased.

jan said...

Oh that looks good!! I've never made pesto before but would/should try it. I do love it.
I've never been able to grow herbs. I have a black thumb too.