Wednesday, February 15, 2006

An American Poet

Edgar A. Guest has been one of my favorite poets for years. Wildly popular when he was writing in the early part of the 20th century, I'm not sure why he's not more widely known today. I snap up his books at every opportunity. Occasionally I have to pass them up because they are rare and expensive, but sometimes at a used book sale or antique store I stumble across a reasonably priced volume. I have a friend who has his complete works in one volume. I'm green with envy!

Edgar Guest expressed love of home, family, God, and country with passion and a sense of humor. He's traditional values personified. I have a few things I read when I am really stressed or down--his poetry falls into that category because it makes me feel so happy! So I'm posting a small sample of his work here. Hope you enjoy it!

No comments: