Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A Recipe, A Remedy, and a Recommendation

The Recipe

We had guests Sunday night and Elizabeth and I whipped up a batch of the world's easiest brownies. They are as easy as a box mix and just as good, probably better. I originally got the recipe from Jane's Apron and she said it came from Martha's Everyday Food. I modified it slightly and here it is. I would post a picture, but they are all gone. Actually they were all gone yesterday morning. They are very good.

Fudgy Brownies

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
6 eggs
1 1/2 c. flour

Melt butter and chocolate chips in the microwave for about 2 minutes and stir till smooth. Whisk in sugar and salt, then eggs and flour. Pour into well-greased 9 by 13 pan and bake about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

The Remedy

We've all had something (allergies? virus?) that comes with a nasty, deep, chesty cough. My mother-in-law said to rub Vicks on the bottoms of our feet and put on some socks and we'd sleep without coughing. Just minutes later I read the same thing online. The kids still coughed a bit while they were going to sleep, but I woke several times in the night to the sound of...Silence. Everyone slept through the night without coughing. It works!

The Recommendation

I just got my latest copy of Critique in the mail. This little publication has probably done more to help me grow spiritually than any other in the past few years, especially in regards to how I view and relate to the world around me. Even when I disagree, Critique never fails to sharpen and encourage. Ransom Fellowship, which publishes Critique, lives up to its motto: Developing Discernment, Deepening Discipleship. You can't subscribe, but they will add you to the mailing list for free--or a donation. You can read some back issues of Critique online, but it doesn't look like the current issue is up yet. Which is unfortunate, because it has a wonderful article I'd love to share with you called A Way of Loving about cooking and hospitality as ways to share the love of Christ with others. LOVE this magazine.

As for other books that have greatly impacted me, Dallas Willard's Renovation of the Heart tops the list. (I reviewed it here.) In the Bible, the book of Colossians is great for memorization and in-depth study of spiritual formation.

No comments: