Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday: Music Practice Incentive

***Oops, I just noticed (after posting) that this week's WFMW was supposed to be about healthy eating. I should definitely be able to come up with something about that, just not today. I did have a dream about eating chocolate yesterday. A lot of chocolate. Maybe my tip could be don't eat chocolate while playing the violin? Or something.***

My 6yo has really wanted to play the violin, and wonder of wonders, we found an excellent teacher who lives about a block away. But like most kids, she’s not too thrilled about practice. I got tired of fighting the reluctance and lousy attitude, and discipline only seemed to make the experience more unpleasant. Finally I struck on a combination that worked for me. I made a little chart with different elements of good practice (holds, note clarity, stance, remembering the songs, and good attitude), and columns for each day of the week. Each day she got a sticker for each thing she did properly…one for good attitude, for example, one for correct bow hold, and so forth. At the end of the week, if she had enough stickers (at least 3 per day) she and I got to have a tea party together with my real china tea set. She has so looked forward to that tea party! Her teacher said, “I don’t know what you’re doing, but it’s working.” Practice has become a joy instead of a struggle.


Hosted by Shannon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely idea--

I like having multiple elements to rate and balance each other.