Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Meme




I was tagged for this meme via email by my good friend Jenny. I figured I'd just post it to my blog!


1. What do you use, wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper. I get nice, heavy paper on clearance at places like Hobby Lobby. My favorite in recent history looks like old-fashioned sheet music for Jingle Bells!

2. Real tree or artificial? I love a real tree but succumbed to the lure of artificial when our allergies got too bad year before last. It's pretty, but it has no smell.

3. When do you put up the tree? Early! This year it was before we left for Thanksgiving vacation.

4. When do you take the tree down? Whenever we get around to it. Last year it was February.

5. What is your favorite Christmas beverage? Nonalcoholic eggnog. I haven't had it in years though. I keep thinking about making my own.

6. Favorite gift(s) received as a child? A babydoll I named Blanche (WHAT was I thinking???!!!) that I got on the only white Christmas I ever had. A whole stack of books by the tree. A diary when I was 9. That started my love affair with journaling. The pearl earrings Billy gave me on our first Christmas. Oh wait, I wasn't a child then. Although at age 22 I might as well have been.

7. Hardest person to buy for? Billy, I guess. Sometimes he just tells me what he would like for Christmas and truthfully I like that. It helps me know, and then he gets something he really wants anyway. But I'm also getting better at guessing what he'd like so there are some surprises.

8. Easiest person(s) to buy for? My kids, of course.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes,actually two. One is a Willow Tree nativity and the other is white and gold porcelain.

10. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards? Email. I used to send cards but somehow I never get around to it any more.

11. Worst Christmas gift(s) you ever received? Honestly, I don't ever recall getting a bad gift. I'm fortunate! Also, my parents taught me to be thankful for whatever I got, so I learned to always love the gifts others give me.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Charlie Brown Christmas

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Theoretically all through the year. In reality, we shop online after Thanksgiving. We don't fight Christmas crowds anymore. Next year I'd like to make a lot of my gifts. Maybe I can carve out the time if I start in January.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I'm sure I probably have. (I know, tacky tacky.)

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Pie. Fudge. Oranges. I guess I have a sweet tooth.

16. Lights on the tree? Yes! My favorites are the big colored retro lights I grew up with. White lights are pretty too, though.

17. Favorite Christmas song? I love them all. I can't choose.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? We have usually traveled in the past. Last year we stayed home and it was such a peaceful Christmas. There are positives about both. We miss seeing family when we don't travel, but it's really nice to have a quiet day at home too. Of course I am a homebody anyway!

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? I don't know.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? A pretty metal star from Bass Pro Shop. It's not camouflage, I promise.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? People who overload themselves with stress and obligations to the point that they say, "I can't wait for Christmas to be over." Also, people who let you know they are disappointed with the gift you gave them. It's so rude. My pet peeve.

23. Favorite Christmas ornament or theme or decorations? Vintage glass from the 1940's.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Billy's cooking. I don't care what he makes as long as he makes it. He's an excellent cook. Last year he made some amazing spaghetti and meatballs.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year? What I want most is to get our 3 years worth of digital pictures developed. I'm not a materialistic person, but I do keep thinking of silly things I'd like to have, like a tempered glass cutting board or particular books or cd's. Normally I can't think of anything, though, and if I were asked I'd forget all those silly things I thought of earlier.

Gosh, did I just sit here and answer 25 Christmas questions when I should have been washing dishes? Thanks, Jenny! That was fun!

No comments: