Monday, August 13, 2007

This and That From Here


On one hand it's been quite uneventful here; on the other, it's been...Intense. Not as much busy as that I have just been tired and rather emotionally drained and feeling a bit scattered.

Billy is getting ready to start a GAP bible study class at church. GAP stands for graduates and professionals...Kind of a college and career age class. I will be helping him. It should be such fun. I have helped him start several classes through the years, and I've enjoyed it each time. I have taught Sunday School on my own before, but I find that we work much better as a team. Or I should say I work better when we work as a team (he always does great). I feel more gifted to serve in a helping capacity rather than an "in-charge" capacity, which has been a disaster every time I have tried it. Helping him just feels right.

He is gearing up for other teaching and outreach opportunities, so our fall is shaping up to be a busy one. We are so blessed to be in the church we're in. Of course it is not perfect (just like any church is not perfect), but it is a wonderful fit for us. We're very happy here.

This morning a friend brought her two little boys over to play while we moms visited. She is starting MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) here at the church, something I've long wanted to be involved in, so we have lots to talk about. The kids enjoyed playing too.

This afternoon my assignment is to prepare a hurricane plan should we ever need it. I don't like to think about that, but when you live as close to the coast as we do now, it is always a possibility. In fact, evacuation is a given at some point. Our pastor said they evacuated 8 times in the first 5 years they lived here. When we lived in a different area and housed Katrina evacuees, I was amazed at the lifetime New Orleans residents who left home with only the clothes on their backs because they had no plan. Now we live in a place where hurricanes happen, and we don't want to be caught unprepared, especially since it's more a matter of when than if.

Other than all that, I have just been doing normal things...Cooking, laundry, cleaning, schooling. Which reminds me. I have no idea what to have for supper tonight. I totally forgot to thaw a chilcken as I planned. Oh dear. Any ideas for a quick and nutritious supper with few ingredients?!!! I feel more confused and less perky than the woman in the picture above, that is for sure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any frozen boneless chicken pieces? Those can be cooked from frozen, or partially thawed and cut into chunks and cooked. Then they take a variety of flavors well. Last week I stumbled onto a new fave: cook the chunks of chicken, then stir in coconut oil and curry. Yum! My hero was very happy!

I admire you helping your husband. It's a beautiful thing. And I'm so happy you are going to get to do MOPS!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmm...
Goulash! AKA Beefaroni(sp).
In pan combine 1 pound cooked ground beef, 1 can tomato sauce, a few tbsp of Worcersire Suace (sp), a little water and about 3 cups cooked macaroni noodles. Cover and cook on medium low for about 20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
As you can tell, this in one of the many meals that I make. However, it's not written down. I do a lot of cooking to taste.
SORRY!
Have a great evening!!!

Charity Grace said...

Those are good ideas! Thank you!