Monday, October 30, 2006

Aprons

Lately I've become a fan of vintage aprons, largely due to their popularity among these adorable Suzy Homemaker/crafty bloggers who make them look so cute. In truth, I've always been an apron girl. My mom made me 5 aprons when I married, and I've worn them so much in the many hours I spend in the kitchen that I've begun to wear them out. Aprons are practical, and especially in the 50's, so very pretty.

A few weeks ago I found two vintage aprons at a garage sale for just 50 cents apiece. I almost passed one up because it had been stored improperly and had small mildew spots all over it, as well as a rust stain. However, it was in excellent condition, and once I washed and ironed it--well, it's perfect. It's reversible, pastel plaid (soft pinks and lavenders) on one side, and sheer pink on the other. It's beautifully sewn.

The second is a tea towel apron, quite worn from use, but still very pretty. Somehow its rather tattered appearance just contributes to its charm. I like to imagine the mother who wore it as she cooked for her family so many years ago. Maybe I'll get the hang of this picture thing and post pictures of my finds one of these days. In the meantime, Elizabeth is very fond of modeling my new aprons. She's even more girly and old-fashioned than I am, if that's possible.

Recently Turkey Feathers recommended The Apron Book, which does look delightful. I'd love to get my hands on a copy. I smell and obsession coming on...Hmmm...

No comments: