Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Lessons in Hospitality

This week we went to visit friends we haven’t seen since Elizabeth was two. (She’s 5 now.) Although we were only able to stay for a few hours, we had such a refreshing time. Billy and I were talking about it when we came home and concluded that it is because our friends are so genuine. What you see is what you get. They didn’t apologize for the house or the food (as I’m always tempted to do when I have guests), they simply welcomed us and made us feel special by their delight in our company. When we left our hostess said, “Thank you so much for making time for us today.” They had loved, served, and gifted us, yet she expressed gratitude that we came to see them.

What a lesson. May I welcome my guests with as much joy and grace.

No comments: