Thursday, February 28, 2008

Cleaning Day!


After we moved into our charming old rental last year, Thursday cleaning day was one of the first routines I implemented. Since Billy has Friday off, it made sense to get the house in order before our weekend. It was soooo wonderful to know that at the end of Thursday, everything would be clean and tidy for another week. Then I got pregnant and we were on the road a lot and then we moved, and Thursday cleaning day fell by the wayside...But the last few weeks I've put it in place again.

Since I had a lot of catching up to do, I'm not sure it's been evident. Today is the first day I feel I've made significant headway and I might actually get the whole house clean by supper time. What a wonderful feeling!

This is one of the first things I want to work back into my routine after Baby comes. Maintenance is ideal, but clutter, dust, and odds and ends gather during the week and a good cleaning keeps all that under control. Speaking of which, I'd better get back to work if I'm going to get everything done.

What about you? Do you have one cleaning day each week? What are your best cleaning and maintenance tips?

3 comments:

Jen said...

I'm cetainly no expert in this department...especially with morning sickness and a sore back! My big areas that always bug me are laundry, bathrooms, dishes and beds. So, each day we do all of those. I do 2 loads of laundry when I wake up--even before the kids wake up. It's usually done by the time breakfast is over and we put it away while they are dressing. Then, we make beds. I also use 2 clorox wipes in each bathroom after everyone is dressed, teeth brushed, hair combed etc. One wipe on counter and sink, one on toilet. I also change the towel at that point. Lastly, I'm adamant that we all help wtih kitchen chores and ALL dishes are done as a family before anyone is excused from the meal. It's amazing how much faster the kitchen gets cleaned up after meals! I don't always get anything else done in the house, but those four things are almost always done each day, except Sunday when I take a break from the laundry.

Everly Pleasant said...

Yes, we have cleaning day every Monday. My mother used to just spring it on us, but "pop cleaning days" were very frustrating when we had made our own plans. Now we can expect it every Monday and we try to finish around lunch.
Everly

Donetta said...

I can not keep up. That is one thing I am looking forward to a smaller estate for. The dogs and the children undo my work and now with moving well...I like tackle it Tuesday for the motivation. I had been so far behind from the over loaded responsibilities that everything was far behind. Now that I almost caught up we are moving. :)