Tuesday, January 24, 2006

On Blogging and Technology

I've experienced so many benefits from having a blog. It's put me in touch with people I haven't been in touch with in a long time, it keeps family and friends updated, it's fun, and it's gotten me writing again. The writer's block I experienced for so long has broken away since I have been using this space for writing. I have several things in my files that I've wanted to write for a long time, that were borne out of things I blogged about.

It's a fine line though. Not just blogging, but internet use in general. Technology is wonderful, something I greatly appreciate and enjoy, but as one who was raised with strong roots in pre-technological times, I'm also suspicious of it. My suspicion is grounded I think. I read today that the average child spends 44 hours per week using TV, the computer, or other technology (I assume this includes iPods and the like). I don't want my children's memories to be always of me at the computer. Now I don't spend all my time at the computer, but still probably too much. Especially the past few days, it seems that the very moment I decide to sit down is the one that they decide to come in and find me here. I'd just as well they find me at the sewing machine, the stove, or in the yard.

I want my kids to be grounded in real life, real relationships, real books, real music, real creativity, real entertainment, stuff they can handle aesthetically, not just stuff on a screen. I want to be part of real life as well.

To that end, I'm cutting my computer time. My ideal schedule doesn't allow a lot of time for it anyway. I'll still be around, just not as much. All my family needs me, and one child in particular needs a little extra right now. So if you don't hear from me for awhile, don't give up! I'm here, just not at the computer.

5 comments:

Gail Binnion Lyons said...

Stephanie...I love this! I go through spurts, and today I spent way too much time at the computer! But I made a commitment that I would keep mine somewhat updated, so I will try to at least make an entry once or twice a week...
Aunt Gail

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Stephanie! It is sometimes very hard to pull ourselves away. At least for me. But so worth it when I do.

I have been stepping back and limiting my time more, as well. There's nothing I really want more than to invest in my little Emma right now when she's so young and impressionable. And she just loves all of her mommy's attention, too. :)

That said, I do love reading your blog and getting a glimpse into your mind and family life.

Windy said...

Stephanie... I just love what you haven writen, especially this one.
I have to admit that I have had a lot of undecided moments about what I should be doing, concerning Hannah. We have been blessed to have her and I know what it was like to grow up with a stay at home mom of one. :) God Bless her!!! (A lot of other things go with her (my mom) though).
Trying to find the fine balance of parenting and school has been more dificult than I thought. Although, writing out the schedule has helped so much. I enjoy school and most of my school hours are while she is at school. Thank goodness, otherwise I wouldnt be doing this.
Todd is such a tremendous support of what I am doing, which has been so great. I too have tried to stay off the computer, at least only use it when I have too!!! (school papers) Hannah loves spending time reading and drawing and the computer has eaten up to much of that Mom and Hannah time. I guess you could say I have, "Mom's Guilt" :). It is getting easier and Hannah and I seem to be adjusting well. Sorry to caring on, sometimes it's just releasing it that helps!! Have a GREAT day!! I am off to save the world!!! LOL :)

Charity Grace said...

Skye, great to hear from you as always. I love seeing updates on Emma.

Windy, it sounds like you and Todd are doing a great job with Hannah. She is blessed to have parents who love her so much and strive to do what's best for her! Having my ideal routines written out has helped me a lot too. Being a mom is a challenge--but a fun one!

Charity Grace said...

Whoops! Aunt Gail, nice to hear from you too. I keep checking that blog! :)