Monday, April 23, 2007

Boys to Men


Update: Spunky adds well-reasoned and compassionate thoughts to the conversation.

I haven't linked much to Barbara Curtis lately; actually I haven't read her as much because she's been posting a lot of political stuff, which I don't really read. I also wasn't going to breathe a word about Virginia Tech, because I do like to stay positive here--even though my blog has just a few loyal readers, I want this to be a peaceful refuge, not a place to read about the latest grisly current events or political diatribes. There's plenty of that available in other places.

BUT!

Barbara wrote an excellent piece today (yesterday?), in light of the VT shooting, called Building Future Heroes. Regardless of whether or not you fully agree with what she says (as pointed out in the comments, there were undoubtedly some student heroes whose stories have gone unreported), it provides some great food for thought She also linked to her article Are Our Sons Ready to Roll? And she re-ran her post about Boy Scouts, which I found very inspiring both times around.

On that note, I'm ecstatic to note that The Dangerous Book for Boys is now available from Amazon, and here's the YouTube trailer, which I loved.

2 comments:

SchrefflerFamily said...

Appreciated. I tend to overdose on politics. after the whole Virginia Tech thing last week, my husband had to remind me to be careful and not mess myself up like I did with Katrina (After Katrina I got myself so messed up that I had to go entirely news-free for over a week before I could start dealing again. Because I kept flashing to those poor people stuck in Orleans, seeing the cloverleafs around here all drowned out, etc.)

Charity Grace said...

Thank you Sarah. That's why I almost never watch the news (even though I could), and don't read it too often. I scan the headlines in the morning, and if something is of truly epic proportions I sometimes read a few articles, but I can't immerse myself in it. Somehow I don't think we were intended to deal with the massive amt of information available today. Not so long ago, the tragedies people heard about were mostly in their own communities. By the time national or international news reached them, it was long over. Now we can hear the details of pretty much any tragedy anywhere in the world, almost in real time. Personally it's too much for me. Again, thanks for the comment.