Monday, November 14, 2005

Home Sweet Home School

Friday, instead of our usual kindergarten book work, we just had an informal learning day. I created a treasure hunt in about five minutes, writing clues with simple words highlighted that Elizabeth can read. For example, "The next clue is on Silas' *bed*" and she would read "bed". The clues led all over the house until she found her prize--a ding dong, something she never gets normally. It was far more fun for her than struggling with words on a list.

We also read and worked alphabet puzzles. I look forward to using more creativity in teaching. It's something that doesn't come naturally to me, but I know that children learn much better when a variety of approaches are used. Since Elizabeth seems to be a tactile and auditory learner--very little visual propensity--I'm forever on the hunt for ideas to help her learn in that way.

No comments: