Monday, November 14, 2005

Work

Barbara at Mommy Life has had some great posts lately on teaching children to work and serve. I was blessed to be raised in a family where teaching us kids a good work ethic was priority. We were expected to tote our share of the family load, helping out at home and on the farm. We did the dishes, cleaned, took care of the animals, took care of younger brothers and sisters, and worked in the garden. When we were guests in the homes of others, we were expected to help serve and clean up if our hostess would let us.

My parents modeled industry and service to us as well. My mom was always the one to clean up after church suppers and my dad was the first to volunteer to help a neighbor who had a need. Work was considered a good gift from God, and because it was part of our lives from a very early age, we never thought twice about it. We never felt put upon when we were asked to help with a task--in fact, it became second nature. I remember my dad saying many times, "If you see something that needs to be done, do it. Don't wait to be told." or "You work because you're part of this family." Today I see a lot of young people struggling as teenagers with their first jobs, because they have never worked before. I'm grateful that I was raised in a family that taught us to work. I seek to reinforce this to my own children. Go check out what Barbara has to say.

No comments: