Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Kitchen Corner



This is a little vignette on top of my cookbook book case. I got the antique bread board, rolling pin, and mason jars at a garage sale for just a few dollars. The old School Kitchen Textbook (1915) came from a used book sale. I find that old homemaking books usually go for just pennies. Who needs that info anymore, right? Well, I for one enjoy them...The cloth is a vintage flour sack my mother-in-law gave me. I think this could be more artfully arranged; I'm not very good at that.


One thing I really enjoyed (and miss) about our old neighborhood are the phenomenal garage sales. The neighborhood was built in the 50's and it was the place to live back then. It's still a very nice neighborhood. The original residents are growing quite elderly, selling many of their old possessions, or they've died and their children are selling their things. It's a goldmine of vintage items. I used to load the kids up in the double stroller and we'd go garage saling on Friday mornings sometimes, just walking around the neighborhood. That was always fun. At the garage sale where I bought most of these items, the residents were selling a ton of vintage costume jewelry for 25 cents a bag. I just bought a tiny bit, and now I'm kicking myself because I see so many possibilities for such items--and so cheap! I should have gotten it all.


Ah, well. Deals come and go.

12 comments:

Erica said...

How cool! ya know, that book is almost the same color as your wall. Fun how that worked out. I love old mason jars!

Arizona Mama said...

I like it! I think if it were me, I would put something pretty in the jars, like an old marble collection, some dried beans, old buttons, a couple of rolled up, vintage looking knitted dish cloths, dried grass, one of the kids' rock collection...the possibilities are endless and you can add a little color and interest. Or you can leave it like it is which is lovely too!

Charity Grace said...

Ooooohhh, good ideas, Gina. That would definitely add color and interest. Yeah, isn't it something how the colors coordinate?

VJ said...

Thanks for stopping by. I don't believe we've met before. I hope you have a good week and weekend.

Take care,
VJ

Anonymous said...

I like the blue very much. How do you like having a blue kitchen? (I was just over at Mama Archer's blog thinking about different interior colors. I'm also thinking, although not too seriously, about painting the kitchen.)

Jen said...

Yeah, I like the idea of putting stuff in the jars, too. I was thinking of beans or pasta--something you would cook with. Also, how about draping a vintage dishcloth over the bread board or framing a priceless artwork from one of your kids...better yet, one of their homeade cards. You could also put fresh wild flowers in one of the jars or hang some dried herbs upside down on the wall above the shelf.
I love old cookbooks, too! You know, if you love to really cook (like I do) then they are a treasure trove of recipes and, more importantly, "How-to" do the old fashioned dishes everyone loves but never does!

Charity Grace said...

Oh, yeah, a dish cloth would be perfect...Great ideas. Thanks, Jen!

Charity Grace said...

Rebecca, I really like the blue kitchen. The whole house is painted either taupe or shades of gray-blue (from pale blue to fairly dark). I didn't think I'd like a blue kitchen, but I do. Most of my glassware is blue, so it matches nicely. Also, the large cabinets are all white, which keeps it bright. I think if it weren't for that, the blue would make it too dark. I'm all about light in the kitchen...

Charity Grace said...

And VJ, thanks for the comment!

Amy said...

Yes I'd do something pretty with the jars too and I DO love the old vintage recipe books!

Anonymous said...

Well, our cabinets are pinkish laminate, and we have no budget to replace them, so I'm thinking perhaps a yellow.

Now where could I use that blue?

Charity Grace said...

I've always wanted a yellow kitchen! In fact, I was just getting ready to paint my kitchen yellow when we moved. Blue is fine for now. I'm still holding out for a yellow kitchen and white cabinets when we buy a place. I think yellow would look good with pinkish too.