Thursday, July 05, 2007

Boy's Room on a Shoestring

I'm doing a 2-for-1 this week, combining Show and Tell Friday with Frugal Friday. This frugal bedroom is what I wanted to show and tell about! Hope the blog police don't get me!

I've had a week with fewer commitments than usual, so I took the opportunity to decorate and organize. I spent part of this afternoon on Silas' room.

He loves to sleep with his army sleeping bag, which is just fine, but it didn't look very inviting, or very neat. I've been wanting to buy him a spread, but today I simply asked, "What do I have in my hand?" I dug around in the cedar chest, looking for something, anything, to put on his bed, and found this pretty afghan that Billy's great-aunt made us when we got married. I had forgotten all about it. It was just right. No money spent.

The bed itself came from a garage sale. I am not sure; it might have even been free.




The big middle picture is a signed pen and ink print that we got at a garage sale. I got the other pictures from an outdated calendar I bummed off my brothers, and framed them in frames people had given us. Total cost for this little arrangement: $1.




These beautiful signed lab prints belong to Billy. I believe he got both of them as gifts. They go perfectly on the big wall opposite the bed.




This kid-sized gun rack came from a garage sale, too. I think Billy got it for $2 or $3.

The thing about "What do I have in my hand?" decorating is that you can't be too much of a perfectionist. I think it boils down to contentment. Silas' room does not look like a designer room, although if I had the time and went to the effort I could do that for a reasonable cost as well. But I'm happy with it the way it is. He is too, and that's what matters. Thrifty decorating also means patience. Most of the time, if you want to save, you don't just go out and buy the whole ensemble at once. You have to wait for those good deals to come along. But I don't mind. I guess I'm strange, but it brings me a great deal of satisfaction to have made my little guy a cozy space so frugally.

Show and Tell Friday hosted by Kelli.

Frugal Friday hosted by Crystal.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great. I LOVE your garage sale finds. I am trying to start decorating the same way & I find there is much more satisfaction in the end result than if I just ran out and bought everything. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Much of my home in Seattle is a hodge podge of things collected over the years with a few new things thrown in here and there. I enjoy the eclectic feel and I like the anticipation of finding something that's right at Goodwill or a garage sale. Your son's room looks perfect for a boy. blessings.

Marci said...

The room is for sure a boys room. It turned out great.

Disney for Boys said...

As the mother of 4 boys I can tell ya that mine would love that room!!! :-) Great job and neat finds!

LBP said...

I think your boys rooms look great! I can't even find the bed in my sons room! LOL

Kelli said...

What a great looking bedroom!!! I love the bedspead and the big puppy dog sitting on it!
Kelli

charish said...

Garage sales are great. I love them

Hannah's Mom said...

What more can be said... Brilliant!

Anita said...

Oh, you made me smile when I saw this cute little dog sitting on the bed. It seems as if he is waiting for his train or cab!

I've been to serveral garade sales recently, too! I am always looking for something interesting that would fit into our home & garden.

Best wishes from Germany,
Anita

Sherry said...

Very nicely done, and inspirational as well. Your ds should be pleased with such a great room.

Anonymous said...

It looks great, and it's just perfect for a boy!

Anonymous said...

My favorite thing about it all is the simplicity, which I am striving for in my own home but have a long way to go. You did a great job!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job! I'm sure he is enjoying it!

Amanda said...

Wow...I read that blog you linked to and I'm wondering if my family could do that. That would be hard, especially with my quilting addiction.

I need to learn to be more frugal! The afghan is pretty!

someone else said...

Very nice job with the room. It looks perfect with the ideas you had.

Julieann said...

What a great Frugal Show and Tell!!! Thank you for sharing.

Have a wonderful weekend

Julieann

Donetta said...

His room is adorable

Susan said...

It looks great and I'm impressed with your "what's in my hand" approach.
Susan

Marie said...

You have a wonderful blog, I'll be adding you to my blog favorites, thanks for visiting!!!

Anonymous said...

Great Job! I love it...

Lallee said...

Great job! I love the afghan, such nice colors for a boy's room. I love the tractor pictures, too. What little boy wouldn't? And the lab prints are fabulous~spoken by a BIG lover of labs ;-)

Charity Grace said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments!