Friday, July 13, 2007

Coming Soon...


August 1-7 is World Breastfeeding Week! Just a heads-up if you're a blogger who plans to join in all the WBW blogging. I'm collecting a few ideas to share during that week, and I'll be linking to my posts from last year too. (Wow, I have finally been blogging long enough that I can do that!)

On that note...Yesterday I was at a playdate with our just-forming MOPS group, and two moms with babies discreetly nursed their little ones in the restaurant without a problem. Now maybe this is not unusual for some of you, but most places I've lived are still in the dark ages in regards to breastfeeding, and it's pretty taboo to nurse in public. I've met more nursing moms and seen more nursing in public in the past 3 months than I have in my entire 7 years of marriage put together, which is greatly encouraging to me. I don't know if this area is just more accepting of breastfeeding, or if it's actually becoming more accepted overall. This would be a good thing, since this state has one of the lowest breastfeeding rates in the nation, which is causing great concern in the health department and medical community.

6 comments:

tanya@motherwearblog said...

How great to see more moms nursing in public or at least around other moms!

Would you mind dropping me an email (motherwearblog at gmail dot com) so I can find out where to send those stickers?

Thanks,
Tanya

Anonymous said...

That surprises me. I always thought nursing was the most normal thing in the world and, discreetly done, it's everywhere, at least among groups of women.

When I was a very young first-time mom, before I was saved, I thought it was acceptable to nurse anywhere, with appropriate coverage.

I have noticed a couple of things more recently: one - in mixed groups women tend to leave the room to nurse more than I might have expected, although I can certainly understand it, since people can tend to be dense about it and try to look at baby's face, and two - young ladies who think nothing of showing a good six inches of cleavage, and yet think it's important to maintain their privacy to nurse. ?!?!?

Hannah's Mom said...

xvwiyStephanie,

B-Day give away... please check our blog. :)

Charity Grace said...

Tanya: Done! Thank you!

Rebecca: I'm amazed that women can wear next to nothing in public without a problem, yet discreet nursing is frowned upon...I guess that is similar to what you mentioned.

I haven't NIP'd much, but I usually choose another room or quiet corner if it's a mixed group. I have had an awkward situation or two with clueless people like you mentioned. I do modestly nurse around family though. They have all been so wonderful. I'm fortunate.

TulipGirl said...

I love the image. . .

Charity Grace said...

I love it too. I think I got it from Grandma's Graphics.